Monday 3 March 2008

A Week in the Garage and some Movement with the Sinusitis

Monday 25th February to Sunday 2nd March 2008

The initial plan to get up to London to discuss my return to work with Martin has to be put off for a week, so the main theme this week is clearing out the garage! It has been used as a store for convenience and a most annoying collection of rubbishy items for well over a year. Time for a “Spring” clean. Of course I have to be careful about damaging or cutting my hands and overdoing things with my energy levels still below par. But I bang my head on the garage door instead and need a plaster on it for the rest of the week! Anyway I do a steady two hours on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings, after a short walk out and my lung clearing physio. On Tuesday evening I get a call from Tim Godwin. He says he wants me back at work on Monday! Ha, ha - just a small matter of a contract is needed, but a great motivation nonetheless. I get another nice message on my blog from Pete Korell in Wisconsin. He is about to see a consultant in Wilwaukee on the prospect of a transplant, but first had to negotiate permission with his insurance company. Not the best thing to have to do when you are ill as well! We don’t realise how lucky we are in the UK until we hear these stories. Anyway Pete, hope you get all the right answers and you are able to go through to your transplant.

Tina and I do two fast trips to the local tip on Wednesday morning with all the stuff I have rooted out of the garage. Then I see Richard Cook, my GP, about my sinusitis. This has been with me for very nearly four weeks and I am getting fed up with it! The nose spray we bought from the chemist has not made any effect. He prescribes me some Mometasone, a steroid based spray and some more antibiotics, this time Doxycycline for seven days. We go to cinema for the first time for about 18 months, if not longer, to see Oscar winning Daniel Day-Lewis in “There will be Blood” - superb. Whilst garage clearing on Thursday morning and doing some essential nose blowing, my left ear pops for the first time since in these past four weeks. At last! In fact it happens three times. Just goes to show what the proper medication can do in just two days!

On Friday I have my Day Unit appointment for my monthly Vigam immunoglobulin infusion plus a blood test. It is another four hour session. My blood results today are - Wbc: 3.9; Neut: 2.5; Lymph: 0.9; Hbn: 12.5; Plt: 104; and CRP: 16 - so I don’t have to take home any GCSF, but the CRP shows that I still have infection in me. My weight today is 74.7kgs - up slightly from last Friday. It is worth recording that my current daily medications are anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-biotic, namely Aciclovir 200mg 3 times daily, Voriconozole 200mg twice daily and Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice daily. Additionally I have Omeprazole 20mg once daily and a garlic pearl twice daily for my stomach. Then it is Vigam and Pentamidine once monthly.

We have dinner at Val and Michel’s on Friday evening, meet up with Lu and Roger for lunch at the Royal Oak on Saturday and a fillet steak dinner at home that evening. Sunday being Mothers’ Day, we go down to Matthew’s for lunch of a superb Jamie Oliver Italian leg of lamb - absolutely delicious! Matthew and I take Ella and Mia on their bicycles to the local park on a fairly chilly afternoon. It certainly blows the cobwebs out of my lungs! Needless to say I get home for a big lung evacuation session. I am certainly getting plenty out from in there lately. Better out than in as they say. My sinusitis is still very much with me, well over four weeks since it started, but I am feeling a few movements from the congestion up there, so the medicine must be working.

No comments: