Friday 4 January 2008

Seeing in the New Year

Monday 31st December 2007 to Sunday 6th January 2008

I have been typing up my blog in the last few days, having stopped since early December and I am pleased that I will be practically up to date up to our flying off to La Gomera on Sunday. Checking back on my recent ramblings I have found a comment from another CLL sufferer, John Clark from London. It is very heartening to think that someone who doesn’t know me has found their way to my blog. I never seem to be able to find it when I go Googling! John, if you read this, I would appreciate your thoughts on whether any of it is in any way helpful to you, bearing in mind the nature of your condition may be different to mine. It would also be interesting to know how you found my blog. Many thanks in anticipation.

I go to Brighton for a blood test at the phlebotomy unit on Monday, while Tina, Linda and Paul do some sales shopping in town. We meet up for a lunch time drink at the very nice Terraces Bar and Grill on Marine Parade. Champagne for the ladies - what else! - and a macchiato for me. We have fillet steaks for our New Year’s Eve dinner, play canasta and celebrate midnight with a Frisbee throwing competition down the road using the Nigel Slater chocolate and cream sachertorte, which had turned out brick hard instead of soft and inviting! My blood results today are: - Wbc: 4.1; Neuts: 2.2; Hbn: 10.8; and PLT: 113.

We have a quiet New Year’s Day , Linda and Paul leaving after breakfast. By the way I am back to porridge for breakfast but now I no longer feel full right up to mid afternoon as I did before. The change in my stomach size seems to be permanent. It is an enormous morale booster. Wednesday is another quiet day. I am having long coughing sessions these past two days, probably because I resisted it whilst our guests were here. I have to say it is a very anti-social necessity - and very exhausting. Despite that I get down to sending a “health update” email to those family and friends - including former work colleagues - who have not heard of my recent change of fate. Although I have already recorded my thoughts in my blog, this is still quite cathartic. The replies I receive are full of encouragement as well as sympathy for the downturn in events.

I go down to the Day Unit on Thursday for a blood test, line care and a lengthy infusion of immunoglobulin - over three hours - which I must have every three or four weeks. The idea of the immunoglobulin (trade name Vigam) is to get rid of unhelpful and potentially disruptive micro cells in my bone marrow and help improve my Neutrophil count. Perhaps I will not now need GCSF so often? I am very lucky as I parked in a two hour parking bay, but stayed four hours - and didn’t get a ticket! I collect four packs of GCSF to keep me going for the next ten days. Diane also gives me a letter I must show at the airport check-in so that I am permitted to carry my GCSF syringes - complete with needles - on to the aircraft on Sunday. The possibility of their freezing in the hold would render the drug useless, so I must take it with me on the plane. My blood results today are - Wbc: 5.0; Neuts: 2.6; Lymph 1.7; Hbn: 11.0; and PLT: 110.

It is now Friday. Although I am tired during the day I have avoided the need for an hour or so sleep, mainly I think because I have managed to preoccupy myself with things. I went to Mass this morning and saw a lot of friends who asked for my latest update. There are so many lovely people about. Sheila Mitchell offers us accommodation in their house in Calpe any time we might want it while they are out there during the next three months. How nice! The fresh air catches up with me and when I get home I have a lengthy and tiring coughing session. This afternoon I collect Tina and we take Tosca (our 12 year old cat) to the vets again to see how her thyroid problem is going. She could well end up being a gold plated health problem!

We have a quiet Saturday, which includes packing for our week away. Matthew is with us at 7.30am on Sunday to take us to Gatwick for our flight to Tenerife and on to La Gomera. It is warm there and a complete contrast from England. We are looking forward to a good week.

1 comment:

john said...

Hi Roland & happy New Year - it was a nice surprise to see my name staring out of the page at me when I last checked your blog! I originally came across you at the end of last year through the CLL Google Alerts that I subscribe to. I think what shines through & appeals to me is your positive, matter of fact attitude, with no hint of self pity. You clearly still take pleasure in everyday things & the people around you.
I am currently responding well to of FCR (round 5 of 6) & anticipate a lengthy remission & getting some energy back, come the spring.
Keep it up - John