Monday 5 November 2007

A Bronchoscopy Finds a Fungal Infection

Monday 22nd to Sunday 28th October 2007

I am down to the RSCH for Tim Corbett’s Monday clinic. My weight has gone up 1.6 kgs in the week to 75.4. My blood results are - Wbc: 2.6; Neuts: 0.8; Hbn: 11.6; and PLT: 73. As a consequence I give myself a dose of GCSF this evening. I still have a bit of a rattle in my chest. Tim has a look at my allergic rash, which has now spread from chest to shoulders, stomach, arms, neck and head - and is very itchy. He prescribes me two weeks of antihistamine tablets - Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 25 mg three times daily - aware that I will be seeing a dermatologist at Kings on Tuesday or Wednesday.

On Tuesday Jim takes me up to Kings late afternoon and I am admitted a day ahead of my bronchoscopy. I renew acquaintances with several of the nursing staff from my past stays in Davidson Ward and the Derek Mitchell Unit - which is nice. I am seen by one of the haematology doctors and later by a chest consultant, who runs through what will happen tomorrow. Sounds pretty gruesome! I must have nil by mouth from midnight.

I am woken at 4.30am for a belated blood sample. Whilst I do not have any breakfast, I have some confused conversations about whether I can take my Itroconazole - I leave it - and how much water I can drink to take my tablets! I go for my bronchoscopy - or bronchiole alveolar lavage - at 10.30am, before which I am given 213 mls of platelets. They are a strange yellow colour, much like National Health orange juice used to look - but not to be confused! I sign away for the procedure having been assured that it will be uncomfortable and, despite the anaesthetic and sedative, so it turns out. In fact it is a most uncomfortable 15 minutes and not to repeated if I can help it! I have a tube inserted up my nose, down my throat and into one of my bronchi. A saline solution is used to flush the bronchioles and then suck up whatever is down there. Afterwards I see some nasty looking specimen jars lurking nearby, but I am too dozy to ask about them. I don’t remember how I got back to the ward. I slept for the next two hours. Whilst I am in a dazed state I am seen by two dermatologists about my rash. I don’t realise just how dazed I am until I try to remember afterwards what is said. They tell me that they will prescribe two different creams, a moisturiser called Doublebase and a steroid-based ointment called Eumovate, but I have no idea - or have forgotten - how they should best be applied, etc.
Tina is outside the hospital at 3.35pm but I am still waiting for the pharmacy - as usual. We get away 15 minutes later. My blood results today are - Wbc: 3.71; Neuts: 2.4; Hbn: 11.2; and
PLT: 66. We struggle a bit to work out the best way to put on my creams, ie before or after washing or showering, which one first, what, if any, intervals, etc.

Late Thursday afternoon I get a call from Kings telling me that they have found a fungal infection from my bronchoscopy. Arrangements are made for me to have a daily one hour dose of the anti-fungal Ambisome intra-venously at the day unit at the RSCH starting tomorrow. Isn’t that just great! One more thing!

I am down to Brighton for a 10.30am appointment on Friday for my first infusion of Ambisome. They have to make up the bag of Ambisome themselves in the unit as it comes in a powder form and is mixed with water. Saline solutions cannot be used as it solidifies. My dosage is 228 milligrams making just under 300 mls of total solution. I am told by Vicky Tindall that I will have daily blood tests as they need to monitor my white cells, kidney function and a number of nutrient levels. Ambisome can affect these and, if so, they would then have to change me on to another drug. I am finding that putting Eumovate on the rash area around my Hickman line entry point stops my putting plasters there as the plasters do not stick! I am told that as my line has set very well at its point of entry then I do not really need a plaster, other than to keep the three access “tassels” from dangling down too far or being tugged. So I can certainly manage for the time being without a plaster. My weight today is 75.6 kgs. My bloods results are - Wbc: 2.8; Neuts: 1.3; Lymph: 1.0; Hbn: 11.0; PLT: 74. As it is considered best to keep my Neutrophils above 2.0 while I am on this anti-fungal, I am given a dose of GCSF to self administer later today.

With the Day Unit closed for the weekend, I go to the Haematology Ward for my treatments. I see Paul Hill briefly on both days. He explains to me that both the fungal and bacterial chest infections I have are sitting latent in the body and have been activated in my case because of my low immune system. In other words I did not pick them up from a dodgy air conditioning system at Kings! My weight has gone down to 75.2 kgs. We have Tony and Pam for a much postponed lunch on Sunday - which was nice. I am still not enjoying wine. I sleep for two hours in the evening. My blood results today are - Wbc: 3.4; Neuts: 1.3; Lymph: 1.5; Hbn: 11.1; and PLT: 72.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black mold removal and bathroom mold can be simple to remove if these steps are followed. Doing so will help prevent any health problems and damage to the home.

interior wall mold removal products

John V. Bowers said...

Focus your mold removal and mold remediation efforts on the area where the water and mold growth is occurring by removing the mold at its source examples on the drywall and eliminating the water source. http://waterdamagerestorationdallastexas.com/tag/duct-cleaning-dallas/