Saturday 29 September 2007

Back on My Feet and the Transplant Programme Explained

Monday 10th to Friday 14th September 2007

Friday 14th September 2007

This is a big day for us with the whole day at Kings to see the transplant team and to have my kidney function test and whatever else they might throw at me! Steve Devereux is away today, so we do not see him and, as it happens, I don’t think it necessarily mattered. The kidney function test is done in the Nuclear Medicine Department and takes all day. It starts with an injection, followed two hours later by a blood test and three further blood tests at 45 minute intervals. I have a cannula fitted to make these easier. In between times, I have a chest x-ray and an ECG. Andre also needs about ten further blood samples, which the sister in Nuclear Medicine takes for him. It is a good thing I have a cannula! Having said that it becomes more uncomfortable as the day goes on as it is in the crook of my arm. We bump into Danny and Donna in the haematology waiting room once again. It is great to see them and we have a good chat. Danny is waiting to get the results of his latest assessment and is hoping he has an “all clear”. He certainly deserves it.

We have a long and informative session with the transplant registrar, the delightful Dr. Mansour Ceesay. He runs through all aspects of the transplant programme and I sign the consent form. There are to be nine preparation days before the actual stem cell transfusion. After a reception day (25th September) I have eight days of chemotherapy - as if I hadn't had enough! The drugs are Campath - part of my most recent treatment - and Fludarabine - which I had back in 2004. Neither presented me with any problems like hair loss or nausea at the time, but I am told to expect to have both of those things happen to me this time. I suppose that is because they are in tandem and both intra-venous. We shall have to wait and see. So this means that the transplant itself will happen on or about 4th October. This doesn't alter the projected length of the overall hospital stay at 4 to 6 weeks in all. He goes into some detail about the various disease and related problems that are likely to arise and how they would respond to them, with anti-biotics, blood products, etc. Without making a big issue of it, Mansour points out the 20 to 30% fatality risk in the procedure. That is a bit scary, but we don’t dwell on it as I am determined it is not going to apply to me!!! We are introduced to Elizabeth, the clinical trials co-ordinator for a study of the comparisons in efficacy between Itroconozole and Voriconozole as fungal infection prophylactic medicines. The Voriconozole is given in tablet form and - knowing how much I dislike the dreaded Itroconozole - I sign up immediately. Unfortunately the choice of patient to medicine is done by random draw, not patient choice. So I am foiled at the outset from escaping one of the world’s most unfavourite medicines! Never mind, there is a greater cause! As with so much about Kings, Andre is most attentive to any needs we might have and makes sure we don’t leave without having the opportunity to ask any further questions, etc.

We drive home and are straight out to Stephen and Sue’s for a candlelight steak supper on their new patio while, in the background, England get a thrashing from South Africa in the Rugby World Cup! A lovely way to end a packed day - the steak supper, not the rugby!

Thursday 13th September 2007

Terry comes round to give me a hand with the leak problem we have with the water butt. It appears that it has probably been leaking from a dodgy tap fitting for over a year presenting a potential rising damp problem for us and next door! It transpires that the problem is a washer was never fitted in the first place, so no wonder it leaked. I get a replacement tap gratis from Colin’s hardware and back goes the water butt in the afternoon, without Terry’s help. I am careful to wear my large gardening gloves at all times to avoid any possibility of infection to my hands, especially my right thumb, which still has no quick protecting it. I also discover that Tosca has been pooping on the gravel at the back and side of the conservatory - the route to the water butt. Yet another health hazard to negotiate for me!! By 5pm we are at Hickstead Showground for Tina’s previously postponed 60th birthday balloon ride. Charrise brings Ella, Lily and Mia to see us off and we have the wonderful sight of Ella running like mad across the field waving her arms furiously and trying to keep up with us as we lift off. Sheer delight!!

Wednesday 12th September 2007

Tina and I go down to PC World in Portslade to buy a new keyboard with a USB connector to fit with the docking station. After some shopping in M & S we have lunch at the Royal Oak at Wineham. This is my long awaited appointment with a pint of Harveys best bitter - and it is truly wonderful!!! To my best recollection and checking this blog, the last pint of Harveys - or any proper draught bitter for that matter - I had was on 24th June at the George at Cranbrook. That’s nearly three months ago!!

Tuesday 11th September 2007

I have an 8.45am appointment at the RSCH for a Pentamidine Nebulizer. This is followed by a blood test in the Day Unit and a review of my medications by Tim Corbett. My thumb has recovered sufficiently for the 14 days of anti-biotics to have been enough - great news - and he cuts the GCSF down to every other day. My neutrophils show another good rise, by another 0.8, to 3.2. My full results are - Wbc: 3.7; Neuts: 3.2; Lymph: 0.3; Hbn: 10.9; PLT: 96; and CRP: 10. So, good news on the infection front as well.

Monday 10th September 2007

I am still trying to get my feet up as much as possible and the weather is just right for sitting in the conservatory, with doors and windows open to keep the temperature even. So this is where I entertain Peter and Suzanne for their visit to me in the morning en route from an overnight in Alfriston and then Mavis and Andrew in the afternoon with their return flight to Canada tomorrow. It is interesting that Andrew’s cousin is going through a similar transplant process up in Birmingham.

No comments: