Saturday 10 March 2007

Introduction (Part 2)

2004

Despite being a year of stronger chemotherapy, 2004 turned out to be much easier than 2003 and totally uneventful as far as “downsides” were concerned. The year started for me with a clinic with Dr. Paul Hill on 5th January. My lymph glands were up, particularly the twin “Henrys” in my armpits, I had night sweats, my white cell count was 17.5 and I weighed 82 kgs. However, we were determined to set the right tone for the year by repeating last January with a week on La Gomera – which was great once again. Bone marrow samples and a CT scan soon followed and I started treatment on fludarabine and cyclophosphomide on 23rd February with my white cell count now up to 35.9. The immediate effect of this new cocktail of chemo was the considerable shrinkage after only a week of the twin “Henrys”, quite something after a whole year of living with them the size they were - in fact they completely disappeared by May after 3 doses of treatment. At my next clinic on 5th March my white cell count had dropped to 2.2. I had a total of 6 courses of chemo through the year from 23rd February and September, with my white cell count usually between 2.1 and 3.5, except for one occasion of only 1.0. My weight went up from 80kgs in March to chubbier 84kgs in October! After the customary bone marrow sample and CT scan, I was told on 30th November that I did not need any further treatment from now until further notice – as it were. My final blood counts were: Wbc: 3.2 and Hbn: 13.4.

We had two 2 week holidays, on the Canal du Midi and in the Lot during July with Linda, Paul, Tom and Joe – Linda is Tina’s younger sister - and to Tilos in October. Although we didn’t have weekends away abroad, we did have plenty away at family and friends and vice versa, plus lots of social and work events, etc. We also went to evening jive classes! – and had fun!!

No comments: