Saturday 9 August 2008

Back with a Bump, Blood and Biopsy

Monday 4th to Friday 8th August 2008

Monday is very much a recovery day for me after two days driving back through France – albeit we did less than 300 miles each day. Tina, of course has washing, ironing, shopping, etc. to do! I am feeling quite weary and guess that my haemoglobin count is low. I wanted to finish my blog, most of which I had typed while on holiday, but instead I sleep for two hours in the afternoon.

On Tuesday I go down to the Elton John Unit at Brighton for my Pentamidine nebuliser with Abby. I also have a blood test, the result of which is:- Wbc: 5.2; Neuts: 0.9; Lymph: 3.3; Monocytes: 1.0; Hbn: 9.2; PLT: 81. There is nothing good there at all. I am due back to the Day Unit on Thursday, so they line me up for two units of blood as well. No wonder I have been feeling weary. Despite six doses of GCSF whilst away, my neutrophils are back where they were just over two weeks ago. Whilst still within the “normal” range, 3.3 is the highest lymphocyte count I have had since my early “Campred” treatment last February. I note for the first time ever, a Monocyte count of 1.0 – slightly above the “normal” range. These are white blood cells which create macrophages, the scavengers and cleansers in the blood system. I don’t know what significance this might have, if any. I have a supply of a further six doses of GCSF at home, so I start another session this evening.

I now have a rather nasty blister well over 1” long sitting like a white slug on the top of one of my toes, so I work at home on Wednesday rather than risk going to London, bursting the blister and getting an infection.

I have a very long Thursday starting at 9.15am having a blood cross-match for my transfusion later and another blood test. The only good news of the day is that my weight is now 78kgs – over a kg up from three weeks ago and no doubt the result of some hearty eating in France! This is followed by an 11am clinic with Ros Johnston. My counts have changed little since Tuesday - Wbc: 5.2; Neuts: 1.8; Lymph: 2.5; Hbn: 9.5; PLT: 62. I forget to ask about the Monocytes. I am having a bone marrow biopsy in the Day Unit this afternoon and Ros tells me that the full results will not be available for about 10 days or so. It is suggested that I put back my next week’s appointment with Steve Devereux at Kings for another week, so that he will then have the results himself. I will have another clinic the day before (21 August) so that I will have a briefing on the results beforehand. She makes a referral to the consultant dermatologist about the blisters on my toes and gives me a prescription for another two weeks’ worth of GCSF. The application to the Primary Care Trust for the prescribing of Revlimid will go before their “PIN” Panel in the next day or so and their decision should be known by my 21 August appointment. Not being NHS licenced or “NICE” approved for CLL – and at £25,000 for a year’s supply, I have to have all my fingers and toes crossed. This is pretty important for me!

I have a transfusion of two units of blood in the Day Unit, starting at 2pm and going on until past 6pm. I read and doze through this until my bone marrow biopsy at 6.50pm. My bone marrow appointment was in fact 2pm and, because I was going to have a sedative, I have not eaten since breakfast at 8am. The registrar, Dr. Taku Sogai, carries out my biopsy with staff nurse Penny. The sedation is good and I remember nothing! I have no recollection of making notes in my notebook either, but, looking at them later, they are quite relevant, although a complete scribble. I must have another biopsy next Thursday from the left side of my pelvis. I don’t remember why. I burble down the phone to Tina to come and get me and then have something to eat. She tells me I got home at 8.30pm. It is all a bit of a haze, but at least there was no pain! - although the site of the biopsy bleeds quite a lot.

I recover enough for me to do a day’s work on Friday. Again the blister on my toe is too risky for a journey to London. Fortunately, although there will be plenty awaiting me at the office, I have plenty of work for me to do at home. It is also good therapy. Anna, Nick and Eva come to us in the evening for dinner, but by 9pm I am asleep!

No comments: